What you need:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
What to do:
- In small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and egg yolks until pale and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter until it’s a deep golden brown color. There will be brown tiny flecks at the bottom of the pan and have a delicious nutty smell
- Add the half and half and heat until just about to boil
- Take the half and half mixture off the heat, and *temper the eggs until about half of the half/half is mixed into the egg/sugar mixture.
*Temper: to gradually introduce hot liquid to eggs while stirring. Do this so you won't cook the eggs with the hot liquid.
- Pour everything back into the sauce pan. Heat until the mixture coats the back of a spoon; be sure to consistently stir the mixture while heating.
- Off the heat add the whole milk and vanilla
- Cool the mixture in the fridge; I usually do this overnight.
- Transfer to your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions for churning
- When the ice cream is almost fully churned, add the chocolate chips
- Freeze overnight